Monday, March 5, 2012

Finally!!!

So lets back up about five months ago...

I was at my worst physically. Exercise? That was a dvd I put in every now and then but could never stay with it for longer than a few months. Emotionally I was still dealing with a lot and I think it showed. I was always stressed out. Worried, Angry, Miserable. I put on a happy face most of the time but it would always catch up with me and whoever was around me would get the brunt of it... usually my husband or my son. Something had to change. I had always wanted to deal with the depression naturally but at this point I needed to make a decision to go see my doctor and get on an anti-depressent or really do something about it. I choose the later. 




I paid for ten personal training lessons with old friend Reilly Barrett at a local gym. He had already roped Daniel into a gym membership because he had all the CrossFit gear there for his classes but said Daniel could use it for his own workouts. Daniel had joined Redding CrossFit a couple years ago and loved it but with his work schedule it made it difficult for him to get it. So this was great. To say he was supportive was a complete understatement. He was ecstatic. I just figured I'd get comfortable working out in a gym, figure out how to work all those blasted machines and give myself a fighting chance to get into a grove that I could keep. Reilly had other plans...

Daniel hitting his max box jump: 50.25 inches!



We both got completely hooked. I went from barely able to do a three minute workout of box jumps and kettle bell swings (dry heaves included) to awakening this inner athlete I had no idea was there! The best part is you're not doing it alone. The group of people I get to workout with were a huge part of why I decided to join. Everyone is in the same boat. We all want to be pushed beyond what we think is impossible for ourselves and when that happens, that feeling... it's addicting! All the high-fives and the fist bumps, it all seems so silly but the truth is it works! The camaraderie and trust I have gained with that group of people is very special to me. Reilly and Katharyn were such life savers. Reilly is a great coach and Katharyn was there in the beginning doing workouts with me so I wouldn't feel alone. I owe them everything. 

Along with working out 4-5 times a week I have been seeing a therapist, getting adjusted from our wonderful chiropractor and learning to eat a more balanced diet I am living a more balanced life now. Not to say I'm not dealing with things because life is crazy, it always will be. But I've learned how to deal with it in a healthy manner. I am so happy to be where I am. For once in my life I feel comfortable in my own skin. I'm not settling anymore. I'm not just going thru life, I am really living it! 

                                                                    Our "little" man.

Other good things in life: Daniel is doing Tough Mudder this September in Tahoe with his buddies from the academy. This year, I'm a spectator but maybe if I can get over the major "dirt factor" I'll sign up for one in the future! Our little man is four going on ten. We signed him up for soccer this year and Daniel's already bummed he can't coach. Maybe next year. We have hopes of him going to Redding School of the Arts next year and thus starting the next BIG step in our lives. 

-MG

No comments:

Post a Comment